Python choice of database

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou tzot at sil-tec.gr
Sat Jul 2 09:26:10 EDT 2005

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 23:42:21 -0800, rumours say that "EP"
<EP at zomething.com> might have written:

>I tried this for one application under the Windows OS and it worked fine...
>
>until my records (text - maybe 50KB average) unexpectedly blossomed into the 10,000-1,000,000 ranges.  If I or someone else (who innocently doesn't know better) opens up one of the directories with ~150,000 files in it, the machine's personality gets a little ugly (it seems buggy but is just very busy; no crashing).  Under 10,000 files per directory seems to work just fine, though.

Although I am not a pro-Windows person, I have to say here directories
containing more than 10000 files is not a problem for NTFS (at least
NTFS of Win2000 and WinXP based on my experience) since AFAIK
directories are stored in B-tree format; the problem is if one tries to
*view* the directory contents using Explorer.  Command-line dir had no
problem on a directory with >15000 files.
--
TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best.
"Dear Paul,