more newbie list questions

googleboy mynews44 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 13 17:12:40 EDT 2005

Hi there.

I am doing a bunch of processing over a list of lists,  and am
interested in doing several things taht don't seem to be working for me
just at the moment.

I have a list of books with several fields (Title, Author1, Author2,
Publisher, ISBN) in a csv.

I have a cell.txt file that looks like this:

++
The title is %title%.  <br><br>
The author is %author1% %author2% <br><br>
The Publisher is %publisher1% %publisher2% <br><br>
The ISBN is %ISBN% <br><br>
++

I know how to do something like sAuth = re.sub('%author1%', author1,
sTemplate), but I can't figure out to populate variables within python
from the list of fields.

The second thing I am trying to figure out is how to add a field (or
populate an empty field) called filename with the value of ISBN +
'.txt', though I hope this becomes pretty self evident after someone
helps me with the above.

The last thing that is vexing me at the moment is something I am not
sure if it is possible.  Once I have populated this filename field, I
will want to try to do something like:

for book in all_books
    open(r'd:\path\to\files\%filename%', 'a')
    some_function

Where I replace %filename% with the value of the filename field for
each book.  Is it possible to do some sort of search and replace like
that over a command within python?

Or is there another way entirely different to accomplish such a task,
like maybe assigning the path/filename to a variable... ?

TIA!

Googleboy