Need to interrupt to check for mouse movement

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Jul 21 02:33:05 EDT 2005

Jp Calderone wrote:
> In the particular case of wxWidgets, it turns out that the *GUI* blocks
> for long periods of time, preventing the *network* from getting
> attention.  But I agree with your position for other toolkits, such as
> Gtk, Qt, or Tk.

Are you simply showing that there are two points of view here, that one
can look at the wx main loop as being "blocking", waiting for I/O, even
though it is simply doing asynchronous event-driven processing the same
as Twisted?  Or am I missing something?  Allowing for the fact that wx
blocks, not just for long periods of time, but *indefinitely* (as long
as no events are arriving) I still don't see how that makes it different
from Twisted or from any other typical GUI framework, which do exactly
the same thing.  (And since there is even a wxPython main loop
integrated with and provided in Twisted, surely you aren't arguing that
what wx does is somehow unusual or bad.)

Or are you simply saying that parts of wx are slow and take a while to
complete operations?  If that's all, I haven't seen such behaviour...
what areas are of concern?

-Peter