Wheel-reinvention with Python

Peter Decker pydecker at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 09:53:08 EDT 2005

On 7/30/05, Torsten Bronger <bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

> I've been having a closer look at wxPython which is not Pythonic at
> all and bad documented.  Probably I'll use it nevertheless.  PyGTK
> and PyQt may have their own advantages and disadvantages.
>
> However, in my opinion we don't need yet another binding so thin
> that C or C++ is shining through, but a modern replacement for
> Tkinter with its Pythonic way of thinking.

 I had the exact same impression when I started working with wxPython:
it looked and ran great, but I held my nose when coding in it - it
just was too un-Pythonic for my tastes. I then discovered Dabo
(http://dabodev.com), which is a full application framework, but whose
UI layer is a very Pythonic wrapper around wxPython. I've created
several apps now using Dabo, even though I haven't even looked at the
data connectivity aspects of it; the UI code works fine without it.

The authors have done such a great job I'm surprised that it hasn't
been more widely adopted. Its development is very active, and they
have great support for their users.

# p.d.