Wheel-reinvention with Python

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Sun Jul 31 20:50:43 EDT 2005

On Sunday 31 July 2005 12:03, Paul Rubin wrote:

> How on earth did you decide that, since tkinter actually runs out of
> the box when you install Python on most platforms, and wxPython doesn't?

 Because Tkinter looked like crap on OS X. Sorry, but it's hard to sell an
application that looks bad. Our target for the framework is to build
cross-platform apps that look native on each platform. Tkinter didn't measure
up in that regard.

> I can't even think about trying out Dabo unless I'm willing to go through
> some enormous pain of getting wxPython to work.

 There are step-by-step instructions on the wxPython site for building it if
you need to go that route. There are also pre-built binaries for many
platforms. On my Ubuntu system, the Synaptic Package Manager installed it
with a couple of mouse clicks.

  Hey, if this is really too difficult for you, fine. But I don't think it's
fair to insist that everyone else follow your particular preferences in
Python. The only one who gets to do that is Guido, and he's already endorsed
wxPython, and that's good enough for me and most of the Python community.

-- Ed Leafe
-- http://leafe.com
-- http://dabodev.com