PEP on path module for standard library

Daniel Dittmar daniel.dittmar at sap.corp
Mon Jul 25 04:54:53 EDT 2005

John Roth wrote:
> However, a path as a sequence of characters has even less
> meaning - I can't think of a use, while I have an application

That's true. But the arguments for path objects as strings go more in
the direction of using existing  functions that expect strings.

> where traversing a path as a sequence of path elements makes
> perfect sense: I need to descend the directory structure, directory
> by directory, looking for specific files and types.

But then your loop doesn't need the individual path elements, but rather
  sub-path objects

for p in pathobj.stepdown ('/usr/local/bin'):
     if p.join (searchedFile):
         whatever

I'm not saying that there isn't any use for having a list of path
elements. But it isn't that common, so it should get an methodname to
make it more explicit.

Daniel