file handling in a server (.py) file using xmlrpc

Jeremy Jones zanesdad at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 8 14:57:17 EDT 2005

uwb wrote:

>Jeremy Jones wrote:
>

>>uwb wrote:
>>

>>>I've got a call to glob in a .py file sitting in an apache cgi-bin
>>>directory which refuses to work while the exact same code works from a
>>>python console session.
>>>
>>>I'm guessing that in order to read or write files from any sort of a
>>>script file sitting in the cgi-bin directory on a server, something has to
>>>be set
>>>to allow such activity.  I'd appreciate it if anybody with as clue as to
>>>what that was could tell me about it.
>>>

>>So, what do you mean "refuses to work"?  Is the cgi script not executing
>>at all?  Spitting out an error?  If so, what error?  (And is it an error
>>to the browser calling the cgi script, or in your apache logs?)
>>
>>Jeremy Jones
>>

>The script executes, no error messages, but the glob call turns up nothing
>while the identical call running from a console does in fact turn up files
>names as expected.

Wild guess, but I'm thinking your webserver process doesn't have
permissions to look in your directory.

Following is alternating root shell and IPython shell:

root at qiwi:~ # chmod 777 /bam
root at qiwi:~ # ls -ld /bam
drwxrwxrwx  2 root root 96 Jul  8 14:53 /bam

In [4]: glob.glob("/bam/*txt")
Out[4]: ['/bam/foo.txt', '/bam/bar.txt']

root at qiwi:~ # chmod 000 /bam
root at qiwi:~ # ls -ld /bam
d---------  2 root root 96 Jul  8 14:53 /bam

In [5]: glob.glob("/bam/*txt")