A replacement for lambda

Jeff Epler jepler at unpythonic.net
Sat Jul 30 18:34:02 EDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 10:14:12PM -0700, Tim Roberts wrote:
> C++ solves this exact problem quite reasonably by having a greedy
> tokenizer.  Thus, that would always be a left shift operator.  To make it
> less than and a function, insert a space:
>     <x**2 with(x)>< <x**3 with(x)>

Incidentally, I read in an article by Bjarne Stroustrup[1] that "C++0x" will parse
    vector<vector<double>> v;
just like today's compilers parse
    vector<vector<double> > v;

Another of the changes he discusses, letting 'auto i = ...' create i
with the type of the expression '...', will certainly be an improvement.
Even better if the keyword 'auto' could be made optional!  (Of course,
this is another break with C, where the declaration
    auto i;
makes 'i' an int)

And what's this got to do with Python?  I dunno.  Sorry.

Jeff
[1] http://www.informit.com/content/images/art_stroustrup_2005/elementLinks/rules.pdf