Dabo in 30 seconds?

Paul Rubin http
Sun Jul 31 19:22:09 EDT 2005

Cliff Wells <cliff at develix.com> writes:
> wxWidgets/wxPython hasn't required GTK 1.x in quite a long time.  Please
> get your facts straight.

It did last time I tried installing it, which was maybe 3-6 months ago.
Someone posted that it had been updated recently.

> Also, the "1600" dependencies you complain
> about come standard on any modern Linux system or can be easily
> installed with the system's package management tool.  I've also built
> wxPython from source on OS/X, which, while orders of magnitude more
> difficult than on Linux, still wasn't that hard.  I'm seriously getting
> the impression you are criticizing something you've never even tried.

I spent several hours trying to install wxPython on Linux without
success (a lot of that was figuring out that some undefined symbol it
was complaining about was some GTK 1.5 function that had didn't exist
in GTK 2.1).  As I remember, wxPython itself compiled without too much
trouble but wxWidgets and/or GTK 1.5 (once I got a copy of that) had
some problems.  I decided I just didn't care enough to keep pursuing it.

> >    http://www.software-lab.de/down.html
>
> It sounded interesting until you said "Java Applet".  Talk about causing
> deployment issues...

Yeah, I don't have Java in my browser, but it's very widely deployed.
For most of the stuff I do though, a plain HTML interface is fine.