Browser plug-in for Python?

Jeff Epler jepler at unpythonic.net
Tue Jul 12 20:27:50 EDT 2005

Back in the day there was 'grail', which was a browser in its own right.
There may also have been a plug-in for other browsers, but I don't know
any real details about them.

Python itself has deprecated the 'restricted execution' environment it
had in previous versions, because ways to break out of the jail existed
or were thought to exist, and nobody stepped forward and offered to
spend the requisite time to create and validate (even in a hand-wavy
kind of way) a new security model.

If you want to write programs in Python and run them in today's
browsers, the shortest path from here to there is jython.  Several
applet demos are available at
    http://www.jython.org/applets/index.html

I have used Jython a little bit, but never seriously and not in the past
few years.  Jython implements an older version of the Python
language, corresponding to cPython 2.1 if I remember correctly.

Jeff