map/filter/reduce/lambda opinions and background unscientific mini-survey

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sun Jul 3 20:28:08 EDT 2005

Mike Meyer wrote:

> I'd say that removing functions is a bad thing. On the other hand, I'd
> say moving them from builtins to the standard library when Python has
> functionality that covers most of the use cases for them is a good
> thing.

We all can pretty much guess that map, filter, and reduce will be
reimplemented in a functional module by a third party within mere
seconds of Python 3000 being released :-).  So it's really just a
question of whether it will be let back in to the standard library as a
module (rather than builtins) or not.  Even granting the reasons for
removing them as builtins, I really can't understand the motivation for
removing them entirely, not even as a standard library module.

   Golf is a good walk spoiled.
   -- Mark Twain