Generating images with text in them

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Thu Jul 21 19:41:11 EDT 2005

zen19725 at zen.co.uk (phil hunt) writes:
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 02:44:03 -0500, Terry Hancock <hancock at anansispaceworks.com> wrote:
>>While bitmap font files are not copyrightable, there are license issues
>>with most of the "nicer" fonts you are probably talking about.
>
> Oh? I can understand them being copyrighted; but if they are not
> copywritable, what licnese issues are there? In any case, there
> presumably are not license issues with the fonts that come with a
> standard GNU/Linux distribution such as SuSE 9.1, which is what I am
> using.

I haven't looked in a while; the situation may have changed.

The font files per se are copyrightable, and you may have licensing
issues if you want to give those away. The *output* from the font
files - the bitmaps that Terry mentions - are not copyrightable. You
are free to do whatever you want with the images you get from them,
including scan them all in and create a bitmapped font file, or scan
them in in multipe sizes and cons up a competing font.

     <mike