Escaping certain characters

Jan Danielsson jan.danielsson at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 21:11:53 EDT 2005

Robert Kern wrote:
[---]
>>    I need to escape '\n', '"', '[' and ']'. I finally went with a few of
>> these:
>> string.replace('\n', '\\n')
>> string.replace('"', '\\"')
>>
>>    I assume that's good enough, but I somehow expected there to exist
>> some form of "insert your conversion table here" built-in string escaper.
>
> Write a codec.

   Is that what string.encode() uses? Some behind-the-scenes "codec"? I
tried searching for it, but could only find UTF/Unicode-related
information. Is it in the normal python documentation?

   Semi-Offtopic: The "search" facility in the Python help has stopped
functioning for me (I'm using XP on this system). No matter what I
search for, I get no results. A week ago, I got a lot of hits for almost
anything I searched for. Anyone seen this behavior, and knows what to do
about it?

--
Kind Regards,
Jan Danielsson