map/filter/reduce/lambda opinions and background unscientific mini-survey

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sun Jul 3 23:54:22 EDT 2005

Ron Adam wrote:

> So you are saying that anything that has a 1% use case should be
> included as a builtin function?
>
> I think I can find a few hundred other functions in the library that are
> used more than ten times as often as reduce.  Should those be builtins too?
>
> This is a practical over purity issue, so what are the practical reasons
> for keeping it.  "It's already there" isn't a practical reason.  And it
> covers 100% of it's own potential use cases, is circular logic without a
> real underlying basis.

But the Python 3000 plan, at least what we've heard of it so far, isn't
to move it to a standard library module.  It's to remove it altogether,
replacing it with sum and product.  Since sum and product don't cover
all the uses cases for reduce, this is a case of taking one function
that handles all the required use cases and replacing it with _two_
functions that don't.  Since it's doubling the footprint of the reduce
functionality, arguments about avoiding pollution are red herrings.

   Every astronaut who goes up knows the risks he or she faces.
   -- Sally Ride