Wheel-reinvention with Python

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Sun Jul 31 15:05:03 EDT 2005

Jorge Godoy <godoy at ieee.org> writes:

> Mike Meyer wrote:
>
> [ Having GUI stuff included on a standard installation of Python ]
>
>> However, you can get compilers for both that come bundled with a good
>> GUI library. Could it be that that's what you really want - someone to
>> distribute Python bundled with an enterprise-class GUI library and
>> IDE?
>
> And then you are going to have three or four different distributors of
> Python using three or four different GUI toolkits and also python.org
> distributing Python for free without any (or with TKinter)...  Which one
> will be the "standard" distributor so that it gets documented and adopted?

We already have multiple distributions of Python: CPython, IronPython,
and Jython (and there's at least one more). We even have multiple
distributions of CPython, what with Active State doing their own and
the MacPython distribution. I'm not proposing a fundamental change in
the world, I'm suggesting an addition that would satisify the OPs
needs.

The "standard" distributor is whichever one your organization settles
on when it comes time to choose a Python distribution.

> In an international project I see othe problems as well -- cost, logistics,
> S&H, customs, etc.

None of which has stopped linux from following this path.

     <mike