IDLE in Jython

Nadeem Mohsin abstractwhiz at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 10:01:34 EDT 2005

Me and a couple of friends have been thinking of doing something
involving Python for our final year undergrad project. We're
considering the first idea mentioned on this page:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/JythonProjects.

Unfortunately, their statement is a little terse, so I was hoping
someone could give us a better idea of what they wanted. As far as I
can see, they want us to build an integrated development environment
for Jython along the lines of Python's traditional IDLE. Have I gotten
confused, or this really the gist of the idea?

If I've got it right, I'd appreciate some help on the following issues:
1. The broad outlines of what we'll have to do - how much Java and how
much Python?
2. Any Jython specific issues I need to be aware of? How big a part
will Jython play in development?
3. Some idea of the scope of this project and the time it might take a
team of three to get it up and running.

We're looking for something fairly challenging, but not so difficult
that we won't be able to finish it off in time. We have about 7-8
months to pull it off, but we'll have a bunch of pretty hectic exams,
assignments, entrance tests, grad school apps and stuff like that for a
pretty significant proportion of that time. The 'powers that be' are
officially giving us one day a week for it, though I'm pretty certain
we can increase that, and we'll have about a month of free time at the
end of this semester, and less hectic schedules in the next. I'm pretty
certain it's possible, but better heads than mine have been wrong...If
anyone has any ideas for other interesting projects involving Python,
we'd like to hear them too.

At present I'm the only Python coder in the group, but all three of us
are pretty good with Java, and we have a fair amount of experience
doing GUIs in Swing. Hope you guys can help us out.

Nadeem.