[path-PEP] Path inherits from basestring again

Tony Meyer t-meyer at ihug.co.nz
Sun Jul 31 21:16:14 EDT 2005

>> I agree. It's yuck.
>
> So don't use it.

If it were that simple, I wouldn't have bothered bringing it up.  I really
do believe this is a case of "There should be one-- and preferably only one
--obvious way to do it" (as well as "Explicit is better than implicit" and
"Readability counts").

If it's there, people will use it, and that means that people will have to
know about it to understand that it means join and not divide (as some will
expect).  They'll to choose whether to use it (be explicit) or not, where
the "only one obvious way" would remove the need for the choice.

One could argue that since "Although practicality beats purity" and
"Although that way may not be obvious at first unless you're Dutch" also
apply here, although the latter will require Guido's answer, of course.

=Tony.Meyer