map/filter/reduce/lambda opinions and background unscientific mini-survey

Tom Anderson twic at urchin.earth.li
Fri Jul 1 09:38:08 EDT 2005

Comrades,

During our current discussion of the fate of functional constructs in
python, someone brought up Guido's bull on the matter:

He says he's going to dispose of map, filter, reduce and lambda. He's
going to give us product, any and all, though, which is nice of him.

What really struck me, though, is the last line of the abstract:

"I expect tons of disagreement in the feedback, all from ex-Lisp-or-Scheme
folks. :-)"

I disagree strongly with Guido's proposals, and i am not an ex-Lisp,
-Scheme or -any-other-functional-language programmer; my only other real
language is Java. I wonder if i'm an outlier.

So, if you're a pythonista who loves map and lambda, and disagrees with
Guido, what's your background? Functional or not?

tom

--
Batman always wins