map/filter/reduce/lambda opinions and background unscientific mini-survey

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 20:17:17 EDT 2005

Grant Edwards wrote:
> mcherm at gmail.com wrote:
>> So I'd say that it's a pretty obscure name that most people
>> wouldn't know.
>
> I can't believe that anybody with any computer science
> background doesn't know it.

Perhaps this reflects on the quality of education in the United States
;) but I managed to get a BS in Computer Science at the University of
Arizona without ever seeing the word lambda (in the programming
languages sense).

However, I only took one class in programming languages, and it was more
of a survey class than a theory class.  When I did take a theory class,
here at University of Colorado at Boulder, they did, of course, cover
lambda calculus.  But there was at least a year or two in which I would
have considered myself somebody "with any computer science background"
who wasn't familiar with lambda.

OTOH, I fully agree with Peter Hansen: "Really, the name is such a
trivial, unimportant part of this whole thing that it's hardly worth
discussing."

STeVe