Web Framework Reviews

John Ziniti jziniti at speakeasy.net
Tue Jul 19 14:40:42 EDT 2005

istvan.albert at gmail.com wrote:
> I thought it would make sense to write up some of my experiences with
> python based web frameworks:
>
> http://www.personal.psu.edu/staff/i/u/iua1/python_reviews.html

 From the web-page:

"""
Zope - Generation Z

Weakness: Not pythonic. In fact you can barely use python with it!
Ad-hoc lookup rules, competing standards DHTML vs ZPT. Can only be used
with these two! The Z shaped thingy.

"""

"barely use python with it" and "can only be used with these two" are
not entirely true.  Zope development can be done in a through-the-web
(TTW) fashion or via filesystem products.  When developing TTW, it
is true that you are somewhat limited in the amount of Python that
you will be able to use.

When you graduate to filesystem products, though, Zope becomes more of
a set of APIs and a persistence layer for your objects and methods
that are coded entirely in Python, with very little DTML (not DHTML)
and ZPTs.  IMHO, this is when Zope development becomes powerful.

Maybe this is the Z-shaped learning curve you speak of:  it takes a
while developing in Zope to even know what all of the options are!

HTH,
JZ