Wheel-reinvention with Python

Torsten Bronger bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Sun Jul 31 02:22:23 EDT 2005

Hallöchen!

zen19725 at zen.co.uk (phil hunt) writes:

> On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 16:51:13 +0200, Torsten Bronger <bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
>
>> zen19725 at zen.co.uk (phil hunt) writes:
>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> How about sometihing with the same API as Tkinter (so no need to
>>> relearn), but which looks prettier? Would that fix your gripes?
>>
>> I haven't learned Tkinter.
>
> [...]
>
> Not that I'm a particular fan of it, it's just I like
> standardisation, because then you get network effects.

Me too.  Therefore I'd like to see a new toolkit in the standard
library to see a new network growing.  You mustn't do something like
this too often of course but I think in this case it would be the
right time.

>> So for me, it needn't be like Tkinter.  The three most important
>> attributes for me are Pythonic, modern (both nice-looking and
>> comprehensive), and non-niche.
>
> What you say Pythonic, what do you mean? And how do you rate
> Tkinter, PyGtk, PyQt/PyKDE, wxWindows for "Pythonicness"?

I don't like to set arguments to -1 or NULL, but to None.  I'd like
to have extensive support for keyword arguments.  I don't like
mucking about with ID values.  Partly this is cosmetical but partly
it's a rich source of errors.

Tschö,
Torsten.