PEP on path module for standard library

Fri Jul 22 13:27:49 EDT 2005

Duncan Booth wrote:
> BTW, does it matter at all in practical use that the base class of path
> varies between str and unicode depending on the platform?

Isn't it even worse than this?
On Win2K & XP, don't the file systems have something to do with the
encoding?  So D: (a FAT drive) might naturally be str, while C:
(an NTFS drive) might naturally be unicode.  Even worse, would be a
path that switches in the middle (which it might do if we get to a
ZIP file or use the newer dir-in-file file systems.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org