map/filter/reduce/lambda opinions and background unscientific mini-survey

Sat Jul 2 21:45:41 EDT 2005

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 09:13:58 -0700, mcherm wrote:

> Lambda serves a very specific purpose: declaring small, in-place
> functions which are no bigger than a single expression. I do this often
> enough that I  DO want special syntax for it. But I'll admit that I
> wish "lambda" were about 5 or 6 characters shorter

As in an empty string? :-)

> and didn't have such an obscure name.

Lambda is no more an obscure name than "function", "decorator", "closure",
"class", or "module". The first time you come across it, you don't know
what it means. Then you learn what it means, and then you know.

--
Steve