f*cking re module

Jorgen Grahn jgrahn-nntq at algonet.se
Wed Jul 6 06:18:45 EDT 2005

On 5 Jul 2005 08:04:21 -0700, jwaixs <jwaixs at gmail.com> wrote:
> The python re module is, in my opinion, a non beginner user friendly
> module. And it's not meant for beginning python programmers. I don't
> have any experience with perl or related script/programming languages
> like python. (I prefer to do things in c) So the re module is
> completely new for me.

Actually, REs are a useful tool even in C, for example for validating input
before parsing it with custom code, so you can forget about some of the
error checking in the parsing code.

... although you have to be on a Unix system to be reasonably sure that they
are available, and even then you're looking at a much less powerful RE
language than the ones in Python and Perl.

That's another problem with REs -- there are many slightly different RE
languages, and sometimes you cannot even be sure which one you're working
with.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <jgrahn@       Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/                algonet.se>   R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!