Wheel-reinvention with Python

Peter Decker pydecker at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 14:12:14 EDT 2005

On 7/30/05, Torsten Bronger <bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

> You found a solution for you, which is a good thing.  I don't want
> to rule out to use Dabo myself.  But in my institute I'd like to
> present Python as a viable alternative to Delphi.  In order to
> convince people who are used to a homogeneous rock-solid system, you
> must present something equivalent.  Of course an open-source project
> can never be as homogeneous, but I can't make the whole team switch
> to a niche project, ignoring all other GUI alternatives about which
> you can even buy books in German!  They'll think "strange, that
> Python" (or maybe "strange that Torsten" ;).

I understand the difficulty of convincing your bosses to use something
that isn't the 'most popular'. I have had many disagreements with
management who insisted that development be done in Visual Basic
instead of Python, because it was the 'standard'. Ugh.

But with any luck, enough people will discover the combination of
Python, wxPython and Dabo to reach that 'critical mass' that you
mentioned earlier. That can only make things better than they are now!
--

# p.d.