threads and sleep?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Jul 6 08:44:34 EDT 2005

Jonathan Ellis wrote:
> Peter Hansen wrote:
>>Or investigate the use of Irmen's Pyro package and how it could let you
>>almost transparently move your code to a *multi-process* architecture
>
> Unless you're doing anything that would require distributed locking.
> Many if not most such projects do, which is why almost everyone prefers
> to use threads on an SMP machine instead of splitting it across
> multiple smaller boxes.

I can't address the issue of whether or not "most" such projects require
distributed locking, because I'm not familiar with more than half of
such projects, as you appear to be. <wink>

On the other hand, I am (somewhat) familiar with Jeffrey's stated
problem area (two postings of his earlier in the thread) and it really
doesn't sound like he needs such a thing.  Would you normally expect to
need distributed locking for a simple system where you had long-running
computations and wanted to improve performance by using multiple CPUs?

Of course, only he can tell for sure.

-Peter