how to write a line in a text file

Steven D'Aprano steve at REMOVEMEcyber.com.au
Tue Jul 26 04:00:17 EDT 2005

en.karpachov at ospaz.ru wrote:
> Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 01:41:36PM +1000, Steven D'Aprano пишет:
>
>>Long ago, when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, (a.k.a.
>>"before OS X on the Macintosh") Apple suggested a bit
>>of Pascal code for safely updating a file:
>>
>>http://developer.apple.com/documentation/mac/Files/Files-25.html#MARKER-9-163
>

> That snippet doesn't write data to the existing file. It writes data into
> the new tempfile and then renames it, as well as the FileInput object does.

Obviously you can't *directly* overwrite a file and
expect good things to happen if the disk crashes
half-way through. Any sort of safe overwrite must use
an intermediate file somewhere. That goes without saying.

As for the FileInput object doing the job "as well as"
the old Mac file system, no it does not. I've already
described how the FileInput object is only usable in a
vanishingly small subset of all potential file
overwrites, namely when you are writing stdout to the
same text file you read from -- or at least one of the
multiple files you read from.

If that solution works for your needs, you should use
it. But if you are not writing to stdout, your data
isn't text, and you didn't get it from the same file
you are overwriting, the FileInput solution is no
solution at all.

>>Most of the code is Macintosh-specific, but the
>>principle is not: when over-writing a file, make sure
>>that the user can recover from any error up to and
>>including power failure without losing the data on disk.
>

> Well, it's what (R)DBMS are for, but plain files are not.

This isn't 1970, users expect more from professional
programs than "keep your fingers crossed that nothing
bad will happen". That's why applications have multiple
levels of undo (and some of them even save the undo
history in the file) and change-tracking, and auto-save
and auto-backup. Even in the less-than-user-friendly
world of Linux many applications implement their own
version of data protection.

Now maybe you feel that it is overkill for your program
to bother about the tiny chance of data loss when
saving data. That's fine. For 99% of my scripts, I
don't even bother with try...except blocks when writing
to a file. I just open it and write to it and hope it
all works.

But for that other 1%, I take the time to check for
errors and allow the program to recover gracefully. And
that means, if you are about to save the user's work,
you better be sure that if the save fails for any
reason, you haven't blown away their precious data. If
you want to live dangerously with your own data, go for
it. But destroying the user's data is the biggest
programming sin of all.

--
Steven.