threads and sleep?

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Wed Jul 13 21:57:35 EDT 2005

Andreas Kostyrka <andreas at kostyrka.org> writes:
> That doesn't change the contrary facts:
>
> -) the general threading programming model is very hard to get right.
> It's basically at the moment where we were with memory management at C
> level. Painful, and errorprone. Nothing to be happy about.

I'd say the common threading programming model is very hard to get
right. There are other models that are easy to get right.  They've
been around for 20+ years. The problem is, they didn't make it into
any popular languages, so you're stuck with the model that you talk
about. Or maybe you're aware of those, and are saying all of those
models aren't "right" in some way?

People say good things about using the Queue module for Python. I
haven't investigated it thoroughly, so I have no idea how general it
is.

        <mike