map/filter/reduce/lambda opinions and background unscientificmini-survey

Carl Banks invalidemail at aerojockey.com
Mon Jul 4 04:41:03 EDT 2005

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> Carl Banks wrote:
>
> > The shamelessness with which you inflated the verbosity of the latter
> > is hilarious.
>
> [snip]
>
> > [ x**2 + y**2 for (x,y) in izip(xlist,ylist) ]
> >
> > Now there's no longer much advantage in conciseness for the map version
> > (seeing that you'd have to define a function to pass to map), and this
> > is more readable.
>
> and then, five minutes later in another post, wrote:
>
>  > If you're doing heavy functional programming,
>  > listcomps are tremendously unwieldy compared to
>  > map et al.
>
> Having a dollar each way I see :-)

Don't think so.  The verbosity I spoke of was your describing the code
snippets  in English, not the conciseness of the example.  map and
friends are more concise than listcomps, I wasn't arguing that, except
that for the typical Pythonic use of listcomps it isn't much.  One
listcomp or one call to map is not "heavily functional."

--
CARL BANKS