map/filter/reduce/lambda opinions and background unscientific mini-survey

Ron Adam rrr at ronadam.com
Wed Jul 6 01:36:28 EDT 2005

Robert Kern wrote:

> Dan Bishop wrote:
>
>> There's also the issue of having to rewrite old code.
>

> It's Python 3000. You will have to rewrite old code regardless if reduce
> stays.

And from what I understand Python 2.x will still be maintained and
supported.  It will probably be more reliable than Python 3000 for a
version or two as well.

It's going to take time for all the batteries included to catch up, so
it won't be like we have to all of a sudden rewrite all the old Python
programs over night.  We'll probably have a couple of years to do that
to our own programs if we decide it's worth while.  And if not, Python
2.x will still work.