Debugging embedded python

fotis fotis77k at fmail.co.uk
Mon Jul 4 09:23:32 EDT 2005

Thank's a lot miki for your response!

It seems that this problem is now solved, yet a new one now occured.
And the name of my new problem is...

"<Stack is not available: Cannot access memory at address 0x1.>"

Let me rewrite the code a little bit more clearly...

//*******************************************************************
//                             C O D E
//*******************************************************************
01
//___________________________________________________________________
02 // Includes mpla, mpla mpla...
03 #include <Python.h>
04 #include <iostream>
05 #include <cmath>
06 using namespace std;
07
08
//___________________________________________________________________
09 // My function
10 /* Return the sqrt of a double */
11 static PyObject* Fotis_root(PyObject *self, PyObject *args)
12 {
13    double d=0;
14    if(!PyArg_ParseTuple(args,"d",&d)) return NULL;
15    return Py_BuildValue("d", sqrt(d));
16 }
17
18
//___________________________________________________________________
19 // Some python module stuff
20 static PyMethodDef FotisMethods[] = {
21     {"root",Fotis_root, METH_VARARGS,
22      "Return the root of a double."},
23     {NULL, NULL, 0, NULL}
23 };
24
25
//___________________________________________________________________
26 // Main program
27 int main(int argc,char** argv)
28 {
29      Py_Initialize();
30      Py_InitModule("fotis", FotisMethods);
31      PyRun_SimpleString("from fotis import root");
32      FILE* fp=stdin;
33      char *filename="Solver";
34      PyRun_InteractiveLoop(fp,filename); 35 Py_Finalize();
36      return 0;
37 }

Now lets say i set two breakpoints: line 29, and line 13. This is what
happens:
1. Breakpoint at line 29: There is a strange combination of next, step,
and other stuff that can move me from line 29 to line 34. No matter how
deeply I digged everywhere I cannot realy understand what really
happens there, but what the hack this is not what I'm really interested
in. by the way if i try too many steps then there is no way back...
2. Breakpoint at line 13: When I finally reach the much awaited line
34, the python interpreter is there and running and waiting for my
commands, which here is the fotis.root(double) command. when I give
though this command control is totally lost: i get the message
described above and after that everything seems to be dead. I really do
not know where I am, why am I there, and what exactly I am doing at the
point that I am.

What is really happening?

Any help will be very appreciated.
fotis._