Regular Expression for pattern substitution

Vibha Tripathi vibtrip at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 1 12:39:33 EDT 2005

It'd be silly to write the code for it if it already
exists somewhere in the Python re or sre library
module:

I need to find and replace all strings in a text file
from a certain pattern to another pattern.

so for example if I see 'this(\D*)that' anywhere in
the file then I'd like to make is 'that(\D*)this'
where the middle part of the strings remains
unmodified.

Any suggestions?

Peace.
Vibha

PS. How do I avoid getting my email ID web-published
for this mailing list.?