Connecting to Firebird database using Kinterbasdb+Python

Maurice LING mauriceling at acm.org
Mon Jul 4 07:56:15 EDT 2005

Hi,

I've been using FB1.5 and access the database using Kinterbasdb +
Python. My connection is established using kinterbasdb.connect() method
and the parameters host, dns, database, user, password are all defaulted
to 'None'.

On my own machine running Mac OSX 10.3, I can connect using the following:
host = 'localhost'
database = '<my path to FB database>'
user = '<user>'
password = '<password>'

At the same time, I can also connect if I set host=None on my machine.

However, I cannot use 'localhost' on a shared Linux machine (not
allowed. Don't ask why, system admin's mandate. And the Linux machine is
without inetd). So when I set host=None, I get this error:

Connecting to Muscopedia Database
Connection:
localhost:/mnt/disk/home/mling/muscorian/BioDatabases/muscopedia.fdb:mouse:mouse
<-- default
None <-- actual host (with 'print self.dbhost' where
kinterbasdb.connect(host = self.dbhost,.....)
OperationalError
(-902, 'isc_attach_database: Unable to complete network request to host
"localhost".. Failed to establish a connection.. Connection refused. ')
   File "muscorian.py", line 641, in main
     result = mosys.run(command)

   File "muscorian.py", line 597, in run
     elif (command[0] == 'linkmuscopedia'):
self.commandLinkMuscopediaDB(command)

   File "muscorian.py", line 129, in commandLinkMuscopediaDB
     self.muscopedia = PubMedGrabber.FBUtilities(str(command[1]))

   File "abcrawl/PubMedGrabber.py", line 340, in __init__
     user = self.dbuser, password = self.dbpwd, charset='UNICODE_FSS')

   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/kinterbasdb/__init__.py", line
470, in connect
     return Connection(*args, **keywords_args)

   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/kinterbasdb/__init__.py", line
608, in __init__
     self._C_con = _k.attach_db(dsn, dpb, dialect)

Any ideas or solutions?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
maurice