"long int..." exception reported with strange traceback location

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Jul 4 17:48:15 EDT 2005

"Michael Hoffman" <cam.ac.uk at mh391.invalid> wrote in message
news:dac6v4$5m1$1 at gemini.csx.cam.ac.uk...
> I came up with a simpler testcase. Strangely, the exception occurs in
> the statement *following* the os.utime() call:

> OverflowError: long int too large to convert to int
>
> Looks like a bug. You should report it on the SourceForge tracker.

Please include this simpler test, which make clear that bug not just in
deprecated  (I believe) rfc module.  Also note:

Python 2.2.1 (#34, Apr  9 2002, 19:34:33) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
>>> import os, sys
>>> os.utime("foo_test_file", (0, float(sys.maxint+1)))
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
TypeError: utime() arg 2 must be a tuple (atime, mtime)

which is quite sane.  So maybe bug was introduced in 2.3 which you were
running.