f*cking re module

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Fri Jul 8 08:07:17 EDT 2005

[Mike Meyer]

> Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVETHIScyber.com.au> writes:
>
> > Is there any possible sequence of bytes that will not be a valid
> > Perl expression or operator?

Perl has lots of syntax, and good warning facilities, it is not so bad.

> [...] TECO, where guessing what your name did as a command sequence
> was a popular past time?

Yes, this is much more likely to be meaningful!  Yet, don't laugh at
this venerable editor.  Remember that Emacs started as an *E*xtended set
of TECO *mac*ros, as its name still say. :-)

I once worked with a PL/I compiler (on a big IBM mainframe), which was
trying to be helpful by spitting pages of:

    Error SUCH AND SUCH, assuming that THIS AND THIS was meant.

and continuing compilation nevertheless.  It was a common joke to say
that PL/I would compile some random valid program out of any garbage!

--
François Pinard   http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca