map/filter/reduce/lambda opinions and background unscientific mini-survey

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Wed Jul 6 17:08:07 EDT 2005

Tom Anderson a écrit :
> Comrades,
>
> During our current discussion of the fate of functional constructs in
> python, someone brought up Guido's bull on the matter:
>
> http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=98196
>
> He says he's going to dispose of map, filter, reduce and lambda. He's
> going to give us product, any and all, though, which is nice of him.
>
> What really struck me, though, is the last line of the abstract:
>
> "I expect tons of disagreement in the feedback, all from
> ex-Lisp-or-Scheme folks. :-)"
>
> I disagree strongly with Guido's proposals, and i am not an ex-Lisp,
> -Scheme or -any-other-functional-language programmer; my only other real
> language is Java. I wonder if i'm an outlier.
>
> So, if you're a pythonista who loves map and lambda, and disagrees with
> Guido, what's your background? Functional or not?

I discovered FP with David Mertz's papers about FP in Python. I had
never read nor write a line of lisp, scheme, haskell, caml etc before.
And I'd certainly start thinking of choosing another MYFL if anonymous
functions where to disappear from Python. Note that I said "anonymous
functions", not "lambda". Concerning map, filter, reduce etc, these
functions can live in a separate module, and this wouldn't bother me.
But anonymous functions are part of the language syntax, so there is no
work-around.

My 2 (euro) cents