PEP on path module for standard library

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Jul 22 14:24:33 EDT 2005

Duncan Booth wrote:
> BTW, does it matter at all in practical use that the base class of path
> varies between str and unicode depending on the platform?

I haven't seen any problem.  I confess I can't even imagine exactly what
the problem might be, since they're both subclasses of basestring,
aren't they?

And current code should have exactly the same issues when using str or
unicode in all the calls that path() merely wraps.

So does it matter in practical use when one faces this issue and is
*not* using "path"?

-Peter