map/filter/reduce/lambda opinions and background unscientific mini-survey

Ron Adam rrr at ronadam.com
Thu Jul 7 23:45:17 EDT 2005

Erik Max Francis wrote:

> Ron Adam wrote:
>
>> It's not an empty tuple, it's an empty parenthesis.  Using tuples it
>> would be.
>>
>> (a,) == (,)
>>
>> which would be the same as:
>>
>> (,) == (,)
>

>  >>> ()
> ()
>  >>> a = ()
>  >>> type(a)
> <type 'tuple'>
>  >>> (,)
>   File "<stdin>", line 1
>     (,)
>      ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>
> You've wandered way off into the woods now.

Yes,  ummm seems soo...  err.

This is one of those Python isn't quite consistent for practical reasons
area.  I don't create empty tuples that way very often, but [] is to ()
is to {} is pretty obvious so I don't really have a good excuse.

 >>> (1)
1
 >>> ()
()

1
()

Well in my previous explanation I *mean* it to be empty parenthesis.

Does that help?

Cheers,
Ron