Apology [was: is this pythonic]

Steven D'Aprano steve at REMOVEMEcyber.com.au
Thu Jul 21 21:25:41 EDT 2005

It has been suggested to me off-list that my
response(s) to Bill Mill in the "is this pythonic"
thread were rude and hostile.

If that is what people saw in my posts, then I
apologise, because that wasn't my intention. In fact,
my comments weren't especially even aimed at Bill --
they were intended as more general comments about
finding a balance between dismissing questions by
pointing to the Python references, and guiding the
questioner to learn the skills to be able to use the
references effectively. I know I'm not yet at that
stage: I still hit road-blocks in knowing where to look
at times, and I guess that made me over-sensitive.

In hindsight, it would have been better for me to have
cut Bill's comments from my reply, and just make
allusions to a nebulous "they" who sometimes have a
tendency towards using "RTFM" as an answer to anything,
because Bill's specific was less dismissive and more
supportive than what you can get on many newsgroups. I
agree with his basic sentiments, although I might not
have worded it in precisely the same way.

(Given how I put my foot in it when I did reply,
perhaps that's not a bad thing.)

My apologies to Bill specifically, and [shameless
brown-nosing here] thank you to the comp.lang.python
community, which as a whole is far more tolerent than
many other forums I've been on.

--
Steven.