problem with ActiveState install

Trent Mick trentm at ActiveState.com
Tue Jul 26 11:48:52 EDT 2005

[Steve wrote]
> I've installed the ActiveState binary distribution for Solaris in my
> home directory, but I'm having problems with Tk.
>
> I think I did everything right -- I used gtar rather than Solaris tar,
> and the install process indicated it was successful.  I added the
> python directory to ~/.bashrc.
>
> Python works fine from the command line.
>
> But if I try to execute anything that uses Tkinter (including Idle),
> the console window goes blank and then nothing else happens.  I have to
> use control+z to break out.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be, and how to fix it?

What version did you install? I.e. what was the package name. Or do
this:

    $ python
    >>> import activestate, pprint
    >>> pprint.pprint(activestate.version_info)

What version of Solaris do you have? Run:

    uname -a

Do you get an error doing the following minimal Tkinter test:

    >>> import Tkinter
    >>> Tkinter.Tk()

Cheers,
Trent