Documentation bug: Python console behaviour changed

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Tue Jul 19 09:10:01 EDT 2005

Peter Hansen schrieb:
> Kay Schluehr wrote:
> > The documentation of the Python console behaviour is not correct
> > anymore for Python 2.4.1. At least for the Win2K system I'm working on
> > 'Ctrl-Z' does not shut down the console but 'Ctrl-D' etc.
> >
> > The Python interpreter tells me instead:

> > 'Use Ctrl-Z plus Return to exit.'
> >
> > Nah, 'Ctrl-Z' is now undo :-)
>
> Are you really using the console, started with the "Command Prompt" icon
> from the Start Menu (or some equivalent)?
> And are you sure you haven't
> installed something else that magically changed the behaviour of Ctrl-Z?
>
> (I get the documented behaviour with Python 2.4.1, under Win XP.)
>
> -Peter

Well, Peter, I indeed changed the system magically but yet it was not
Windows, but Python! In my description I told You that I installed
IPython and IPython requires the readline package. If I rename the
readline package ( e.g. _readline ) in the site-packages directory the
console behaves as expected. Otherwise it shows the termination
behaviour of IPython namely it shuts down with Ctrl-D.

It's really sucking...

Kay