removing list comprehensions in Python 3.0

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 00:29:30 EDT 2005

Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 16:07:50 -0600, Steven Bethard
> <steven.bethard at gmail.com> declaimed the following in comp.lang.python:
>
>>I only searched a few relatively recent threads in c.l.py, so there are
>>probably more, but it looks to me like the final decision will have to
>>be made by a pronouncement from Guido.
>
> 	Great... It takes me two releases of Python to get comfortable
> with them, and then they are threatened to be removed again...
>
> 	Might as well submit the language to ISO for standardization --
> then I wouldn't be following an erratic target <G>

Two points:

(1) There's no reason to get uncomfortable even if they're removed.
You'd just replace [] with list().

(2) *IMPORTANT* If this happens *at all*, it won't happen until Python
3.0, which is probably at least 5 years away.  And the Python 2.X branch
will still be available then, so if you don't like Python 3.0, you don't
have to use it.

STeVe