PyGTK or wxPython (not a flame war) on Windows

TPJ tprimke at interia.pl
Fri Jul 22 03:42:02 EDT 2005

GUI's etc: PyGtk on Windows
"(...) So if someone develops mainly for X and just wants to make sure
that it is not impossible to run on Windows, you can use PyGTK. (...)",
July 2nd, 1999

pyGTK on Windows
"(...)
> can i use pyGTK under
> Windows???

It's probably doable (...) but not worthy in my oppinion (...). A much
better choice is wxPython (...)"

"(...)even if it is made to work under windows, pygtk would not have a
windows look and feel.  wxPython is probably your best bet (...)"

pygtk vs. wxPython
4. "(...) If you want cross-platform capabilities (...) then go
wxWindows." May 17 2002

7. "(...) The pygtk (and gtk port in general) does not yet support
threading on windows. (...) GTK 2.0 is supposed to fix it but support
isn't available *yet*. (...)" May 17 2002

PyGTK vs. wxPython
7. "(...) wxPython would indeed be a better choice if your applications
are only to run on a certain infamous legacy operating system from the
Pacific Northwest.  The PyGTK is a better choice if you are writing for
Linux and want your application to also be able to run on windows.
(...)" Apr 25

11. "(...) I'm using wxPython because GTK for windows wasn't ready
three years ago when I initially had to write my first Windows
application.  If I evaluated both of them again today, I might choose
GTK, and I might not." Apr 27

In the nearest future I will have to decide what to use: PyGTK or
wxPython. I like those both APIs. wxPython has more widgets, but PyGTK
seems to be faster. I can use them both for free (it's very important).
My only concern is that although I'm doing development on Linux, I'd
like to make my application runnable on Windows as well (Py2Exe). I'd
like to choose PyGTK (because of its rich documentation), but I'm not
sure if PyGTK is stable on Windows... For now I know that wxPython runs
well on Windows.

For now I haven't experienced any problems with wxPython on Linux
(Slackware, Aurox /Polish RH-like distro/). I used wxPython on Linux,
but I stopped because of its poor documentation (mainly C++ docs, not
Python docs). But recently I noticed this documentation got better
(*much* better!).

How well does PyGTK run on Windows (98, 2K, XP)? How stable is it? Will
I be able to make an executable (using Py2Exe) of an application that
uses PyGTK?