PEP on path module for standard library

Michael Hoffman cam.ac.uk at mh391.invalid
Thu Jul 21 11:39:40 EDT 2005

Many of you are familiar with Jason Orendorff's path module
<http://www.jorendorff.com/articles/python/path/>, which is frequently
recommended here on c.l.p. I submitted an RFE to add it to the Python
standard library, and Reinhold Birkenfeld started a discussion on it in
python-dev
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-June/054438.html>.

The upshot of the discussion was that many python-dev'ers wanted path
added to the stdlib, but Guido was not convinced and said it must have a
PEP. So Reinhold and I are going to work on one. Reinhold has already
made some changes to the module to fit the python-dev discussion and put
it in CPython CVS at nondist/sandbox/path.

For the PEP, do any of you have arguments for or against including path?
Code samples that are much easier or more difficult with this class
would also be most helpful.

I use path in more of my modules and scripts than any other third-party
module, and I know it will be very helpful when I no longer have to
worry about deploying it.

Thanks in advance,
--
Michael Hoffman