What are the other options against Zope?

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Sun Jul 3 16:06:10 EDT 2005

Christopher Subich <spam.csubich+block at block.subich.spam.com> writes:
> That, and the file format definitely isn't robust to bit-rot that
> happened too often on FAT16/32 filesystems.

>From where I sit, the critical difference between the registry and a
set of .ini files (or Unix rc files) is that the registry requires
special tools to tweak if it gets so busted you can't boot the
system. The .ini (rc) files require nothing more complicated than an
editor. Editors you sort of have to know - so fixing the .ini (rc)
files doesn't require learning anything beyond the configuration
system. To add insult to injury, the tools for hacking the Windows
registry all require you to bring up a GUI, which means your "rescue"
disk has to include a GUI.

Note that Unix isn't immune to things like the registry. AIX(*) puts
all the configuration information in an object database, that require
special tools to manipulate. At least AIX provides CLI and
curses-based tools to do the work.

        <mike

*) I know, some people don't consider AIX to be Unix. But it at least
reminds you of Unix...