PEP on path module for standard library

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Sat Jul 23 12:47:02 EDT 2005

Peter Hansen wrote:
> Just a note, though you probably know, that this is intended to be
> written this way with path:

> path(u'a/b/c/d')

I know, but it really doesn't look right to me.

I think that my fundamental problem with all of this is that by making path
a subclass of str/unicode it inherits inappropriate definitions of some
common operations, most obviously addition, iteration and subscripting.

These operations have obvious meaning for paths which is not the same as
the meaning for string. Therefore (in my opinion) the two ought to be
distinct.