Wheel-reinvention with Python

Torsten Bronger bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Sat Jul 30 10:35:09 EDT 2005

Hallöchen!

Peter Decker <pydecker at gmail.com> writes:

> On 7/30/05, Torsten Bronger <bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
>
>> I've been having a closer look at wxPython which is not Pythonic
>> at all and bad documented.  Probably I'll use it nevertheless.
>> PyGTK and PyQt may have their own advantages and disadvantages.
>>
>> However, in my opinion we don't need yet another binding so thin
>> that C or C++ is shining through, but a modern replacement for
>> Tkinter with its Pythonic way of thinking.
>
> I had the exact same impression when I started working with
> wxPython: [...] I then discovered Dabo (http://dabodev.com), which
> is a full application framework, but whose UI layer is a very
> Pythonic wrapper around wxPython. I've created several apps now
> using Dabo, even though I haven't even looked at the data
> connectivity aspects of it; the UI code works fine without it.

I'm aware of it (and there is Wax and maybe a third one).  Actually
it illustrates my point quite well: These projects are small and
instable (Dabo has a developer basis of very few people, Wax has
only one); they are even worse documented; they add another layer
which slows down and requires the end-user to install another
package; they force you to test even more GUI approaches.

==> They contribute heavily to Dark Cowherd's observation that "it
is shambles".

Tschö,
Torsten.