Keyboard problems with Python shell over SSH

Nils Emil P. Larsen ne-nospam7 at post.cybercity.dk
Mon Jan 24 04:40:14 EST 2005

Hello Stian

>Your Python installation is probably compiled without readline support.
>It is the readline library that enables arrow keys and Ctrl-R and stuff
>to work.
>Try "import readline" - you will probably get an error.

You are indeed right. "import readline" generated an error.

I downloaded, compiled and installed GNU readline.
Then I downloaded Python 2.4 source and configured it with
./configure --with-readline
make
make install

This did the trick!
Thank you!

Nils Emil P. Larsen
--
My reply-address is valid.           www.bios-flash.dk
Min svar-adresse er gyldig.      Redning af døde BIOS'er