python without OO

Thomas Bartkus tom at dtsam.com
Tue Jan 25 17:25:19 EST 2005

"Davor" <davorss at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1106689788.676121.48490 at c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Is it possible to write purely procedural code in Python, ...
Of course!

> or the OO
> constructs in both language and supporting libraries have got so
> embedded that it's impossible to avoid them?

You can always *write your own* purely procedure code.
A tougher problem would be living without the wealth of supporting library
code that is written OO.

> Also, is anyone aware of
> any scripting language that could be considered as "Python minus OO
> stuff"?
Anyone aware?  Not I!

> (As you can see I'm completely new to Python and initially
> believed it's a nice&simple scripting language before seeing all this
> OO stuff that was added in over time)

Over time ???
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe that all that dirty,
rotten OO stuff was incorporated in the language right from the start.
    But
If you can live without coding OO, you can do it in Python.

I'm not sure what it is, exactly, you are trying to avoid.
Much "nice&simple scripting " simply has no need to create and use objects.
Of course, the entire structure of Python and all of it's built in data
structures are object oriented.  But, if you wish to live within the
confines of your own strictly procedural code, I don't think you need to
deal with the issue.

On the other hand, this does beggar for a reason to bother with Python at
all.  It seems you could be happy doing BASH scripts for Linux or DOS batch
files for Windows.  Both are "nice&simple" scripting languages free of
object oriented contamination.

Why would you use an object oriented language if you don't want to?
Thomas Bartkus