Installing Numeric with ATLAS and LAPACK

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 16:02:05 EST 2005

drife wrote:

> Thanks John. Those are the steps I followed, and to no avail.
>
> Interestingly, I downloaded and installed SciPy, and ran the
> same eigenvector problem. SciPy greatly speeds up the
> calculation...was 1.5 hours using Numeric, now only 15 min
> with SciPy.
>
> Unfortunately, SciPy only solves ordinary and generalized
> eigenvalue problems of a square matrix. They do not test
> to see if the matrix is symmetric, then call the appropriate
> routine from LAPACK.

Note that scipy exposes most of lapack, so you could make the call you need
directly:

In [3]: scipy.linalg.lapack.get_lapack_funcs?
Type:           function
Base Class:     <type 'function'>
String Form:    <function get_lapack_funcs at 0x40402c6c>
Namespace:      Interactive
File:           /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/scipy/linalg/lapack.py
Definition:     scipy.linalg.lapack.get_lapack_funcs(names, arrays=(), debug=0,
force_clapack=1)
Docstring:
    Return available LAPACK function objects with names.
    arrays are used to determine the optimal prefix of
    LAPACK routines.
    If force_clapack is True then available Atlas routine
    is returned for column major storaged arrays with
    rowmajor argument set to False.

Cheers,